Stone Mountain, GA 30088
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Monday – Friday
Phone: (770) 469-9069
3 John 1:2
2 Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
The goal of the Diabetes Self-Management Ministry at Crossroads Presbyterian Church is to provide free self-empowering education and tools to individuals in our community who are living with diabetes.
We are a faith-based ministry of nurses and healthcare educators offering self-management care of the whole person.
Every organ in the body can be profoundly affected by poorly controlled diabetes, therefore, whilst the focus of our ministry is the promotion of self-management of diabetes, our approach is very much holistic.
Ultimately, our desire is to reduce the impact of diabetes and its complications in our community.
We utilize the Self-Care Behaviors Framework of the Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists – ADCES7. These seven evidence-based guidelines are: Healthy Eating, Healthy Coping, Being Active, Taking Medication, Monitoring, Reducing Risk, and Problem Solving. Click on either of the links below to see an example of these guidelines.
Fast Facts on Diabetes (CDC)
• Total: 37.3 million people have diabetes (11.3% of the US population)
• Diagnosed: 28.7 million people, including 28.5 million adults
• Undiagnosed: 8.5 million people (23.0% of adults are undiagnosed)
• Total: 96 million people aged 18 years or older have prediabetes (38.0% of the adult US population)
• 65 years or older: 26.4 million people aged 65 years or older (48.8%) have prediabete
Learn more from the American Diabetes Association: Type 2 Diabetes – Symptoms, Causes, Treatment | ADA
Why Self-Management Education? (CDC)
Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) services help people with diabetes learn how to take the best care of themselves. Ask your doctor for a referral to DSMES services to help you manage your diabetes.
How will DSMES help me? (CDC)
When you learn that you have diabetes, your first question might be, “What can I eat?” DSMES will answer this question and many others. Your first step should be ask your doctor to refer you for DSMES. If your doctor does not talk to you about these services, bring it up during your visit.
DSMES services include a health care team who will teach you how to stay healthy and how to make what you learn a regular part of your life.
DSMES services will help you:
• Make better decisions about your diabetes.
• Work with your health care team to get the support you need.
• Understand how to take care of yourself and learn the skills to:
o Eat healthy.
o Be active.
o Check your blood sugar (glucose).
o Take your medicine.
o Solve problems.
o Cope with the emotional side of diabetes.
Reduce your risk of other health problems. Why is DSMES important?
• People who have the knowledge and support to manage their diabetes are healthier than those who do not.
• Learning how to control your diabetes will save money and time, and help you have fewer emergency and hospital visits.
• Knowing how and when to take your medication, how to monitor your blood sugar (glucose), and how to take care of
yourself, helps you manage your diabetes better.
• Managing your diabetes will help you avoid or delay serious health complications.
• The skills you learn will help you take better care of yourself. Diabetes management starts with you.
What we offer:
• ALL CLASSES/SUPPORT GROUPS ARE FREE!
• Individual Education – Call: 770-689-2474
• Group Education – Call: 770-689-2474
• Bi-monthly Support Group – Walk-in OK (when onsite classes resume)
•Diabetes Overview •ABC of Diabetes Self-Management •Diet •Exercise •Foot Care •Medication
•Monitoring •Physician Visits/Sick Days •Preventing Complications •Resources •SMART Goals
•Spiritual Support •Stress Management
Our expectations from you:
• For classes/additional information: Call 770-689-2474
• Your time and commitment to self-management
• Willingness to engage in dynamic group discussions
• Desire to support each other
Main Worship Services
Sundays at 9:30AM (EST) – Bible School for All Ages
Sundays at 10:30AM (EST) – Quiet Time for Prayer & Meditation
Sundays at 11:00AM (EST) – Worship Service
Thursdays at 6:30PM (EST) – Bible Study